Four Causes of Commercial Fires in Jacksonville, NC

The Jones Companies Fire Leave a Comment

Commercial buildings, just like residential properties, face many potential risks of fire. There are many contributing factors that can lead to an accidental fire that can easily decimate a business in a matter of minutes if not quickly and properly handled.

Although proper insurance can help a business recover financially, no business owner wants to experience a loss due to fire. It is important to understand, and proactively work to prevent, situations that can lead to a commercial fire of any kind. Keep in mind that many businesses house combustible items.

We’ve put together a list of potential issues that can lead to a fire. Becoming aware of these risks and contributing factors can help lower the chances of a fire. Whether it’s faulty equipment or flammable materials, identifying these common causes of commercial building fires will help you in the long run and allow you to prevent accidents before they happen.

Faulty or Inadequate Wiring of the Building

Fires caused by inadequate wiring are caused by overheating. In order to prevent this, make sure that all wiring is properly installed and equipped with proactive, fire prevention features.

Flammable Liquids

Some businesses house flammable liquids that can spontaneously combust, causing a chemical fire. This occurs when there is a reaction of certain chemicals with oxygen providing enough heat to ignite. Be mindful to store chemicals, fuel, and other liquids in proper containers to prevent overheating.

Heating Appliances

Even small heating appliances like personal space heaters and baseboard heaters can cause a commercial fire when in the presence of fabrics or other combustible items. To prevent a fire, we recommend to never leave a space heater running while unattended.

Electrical Equipment

A short circuit in electrical equipment can cause a spark that could ignite materials in the business. Because they are hidden in location, short circuits are difficult to locate which can cause a fire to start before anyone is even aware of the situation. Make sure that all electrical equipment is properly maintained.

If your commercial property does experience a fire, call the professionals at The Jones Companies in Jacksonville/Onslow County and surrounding areas. Our team is here to help you repair your business.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.